Our first coach trip for two years was very successful and 42 participants enjoyed our visit to the Black Country Living Museum on June 25th despite heavy showers during the day, and we returned to green and leafy WIltshire knowing more about the industries of the Black Country and the often harsh lives led by our ancestors there.
Coach to The National Archives Saturday 15th October 2022
After a long break, The National Archives is again offering the opportunity of group visits! I have booked coach parking for Saturday 15th October and am now in the process of organising a coach. So if you are interested in going to the Archives, or visiting Kew Gardens (just a short walk away), please contact me ! No prices yet, but I will let interested parties know the details as soon as possible. We will pick up passengers at Westbury, Devizes, Chippenham and Swindon as usual before heading straight down the M4 to Kew.
Points to bear in mind:
- The London Family History Centre (the family search facility run by the Mormons) is no longer at Kew (and not open as yet in Kensington)
- You will be able to use Kew's computers or your own tablet to view 1921 census free there (but you can't book a computer so it will be first come first serve)
- I haven't been to Kew since it re-opened after lockdowns and I don't know how the catering facilities work at present
- Kew Gardens is open to visitors if you want to go there instead!
- And central London is a short walk and a (slightly longer) tube journey away
- I've picked a date before the clocks change
- As far as I know, there is no major event on in London which would dispute our journey there and back
- With fuel prices what they are, expect the price to be around £20-£25 each - but I will try to keep them as low as possible
- You will be asked to do a lateral flow test on the Friday before travelling to check you are Covid free
- With Covid infections in mind, I can't guarantee to refund your fare if you have to pull out from the trip after firming up your booking
I'm also looking forward to next year. So, if you have any suggestions, please let me know: remember it needs to be less than 3 hours' travel time from WIltshire. It could be an archive visit (of general interest), a museum or a family history show.
WFHS Coach Organiser